29 July 2007

Hogwarts

No Spoilers Here. In fact, I haven't read the last book yet myself, so I can't spoil it for anyone.

I'm an admirer of the Potter series, and of Rowlings' talent. I'll surely read the seventh book as I have the other six at some point. The flip side, though, is that I've got something of an alergy to hype, and don't like standing in line at book stores at midnight.

All that said, I'd simply like to point out that one of the neat details of the series is the school motto for Hogwarts: "Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus."


That's supposed to translate, "Never Tickle a Sleeping Dragon," though the Latin is a bit fanciful. Wouldn't "Draco Quietus Nunquam...." work better?

Let sleeping multi-headed dogs lie, too.

At any rate, I hope to catch up with the latest of the movies soon, and the final book not long after that.

In the meantime: watch who you tickle, everyone.

No comments:

Knowledge is warranted belief -- it is the body of belief that we build up because, while living in this world, we've developed good reasons for believing it. What we know, then, is what works -- and it is, necessarily, what has worked for us, each of us individually, as a first approximation. For my other blog, on the struggles for control in the corporate suites, see www.proxypartisans.blogspot.com.