22 January 2009

Walking in downtown Manhattan

I went into Manhattan yesterday on business.

Specifically, I attended an open house that an accounting firm held for discussion of some of the issues created by Bernard Madoff's giant ponzi scheme and its legal/accounting aftermath.

I walked to the Essex House, where the meeting was held, from Grand Central Station. It was very cold, and I could have gotten a cab, but I felt both cheap and adventurous. Had I been cheap but not so adventurous, after all, I could have taken the subway.

I started walking, said "brrrr" under my breath a few times, looked around at the cabs whizzing by, but didn't hail any. I have a stubborn streak and I had started walking so I was going to finish the walk AS a walk, by god!

Anyway I got there. The meeting was actually more interesting than I had expected it might be. Unfortunately, I don't yet have a set of business cards that identify me in connection with my present employer. This is a severe hindrance at such events. The ritual exchange-of-cards is a necessity if one is going to introduce one's self.

On the way home after the meeting it was dark as well as cold. And I was still feeling cheap, though no longer so adventurous. So I took the subway.

No comments:

Knowledge is warranted belief -- it is the body of belief that we build up because, while living in this world, we've developed good reasons for believing it. What we know, then, is what works -- and it is, necessarily, what has worked for us, each of us individually, as a first approximation. For my other blog, on the struggles for control in the corporate suites, see www.proxypartisans.blogspot.com.