08 January 2009

Music history

Each year I have a day-by-day calender sitting on my dresser.

Each year the theme is different. Cartoons from The New Yorker got me through 2008. But I'm all New-Yorkered out.

This year, I'll be tearing off the previous page each day to discover a new ... event in music history. Yes, "This day in music" is the theme.

And I'll share these with you lucky readers now and then, as dictated by my whim.

Today, for example, the calender tells me that it has been 35 years since KISS signed their (its?) first record deal.

Yesterday's landmark was more contemporary. January 7, 2009 marked 15 years since the final onstage performance of Nirvana in the US. So yesterday marked the anniversary of a last, and today marks the anniversary of a first. That's movement in the direction of optimism.

No comments:

Knowledge is warranted belief -- it is the body of belief that we build up because, while living in this world, we've developed good reasons for believing it. What we know, then, is what works -- and it is, necessarily, what has worked for us, each of us individually, as a first approximation. For my other blog, on the struggles for control in the corporate suites, see www.proxypartisans.blogspot.com.