09 January 2009

NotNasser's casting idea

You may as well know, since I have nothing to hide in such matters, that when I comment within the blogs of others, I do so using the nom de plume "NotNasser."

[And when I edit on wikipedia, as I believe I've mentioned, I use Christofurio -- but that's another story].

Why do I use "NotNasser"? Because I once had the onerous duty of reviewing a very silly book by a fellow named Nasser Saber. There was an exchange of e-mails after the appearance of my review in which Saber accused me of misquoting him. The accusation was false. In essence, he had mis-remembered his own punctuation.

Anyway, after I had satisfied him that my quotation had been accurate (and that, if it made him look silly, he might just have deserved to look silly) he told me that his next book in the series would deal with the substance of my critique (not just with punctuation I imagine) at some length.

Fine with me. Years have gone by, and I await in diminishing hope my evisceration in Saber's next display of literary swordplay.

In the meantime, and in his honor, I will make my appearance in other people's blogs as ... NotNasser.

Anyway, having said all that, I'd like to quote myself. In the very amusing blog "Dealbreaker" there is now a debate underway over who should play Bernie Madoff in the inevitable movie. My own proposal, in NotNasser persona, is as follows:

If he has no more anti-Darwin movies on his "to do" list: Ben Stein.

Can't you just hear him calling his sons into his office for that fateful showdown?

"Bueller A? Bueller B?"

No comments:

Knowledge is warranted belief -- it is the body of belief that we build up because, while living in this world, we've developed good reasons for believing it. What we know, then, is what works -- and it is, necessarily, what has worked for us, each of us individually, as a first approximation. For my other blog, on the struggles for control in the corporate suites, see www.proxypartisans.blogspot.com.