31 July 2008

Random thoughts

Went to NYC yesterday. Drove to Stamford Tuesday evening, stayed in a motel, and took the train in Wednesday morning.

I wanted to meet face-to-face with a couple of sources of mine. Telephone and e-mail are both wonderful things, but there is still a powerful need for actual co-presence.

Along the way, I was trying to get internet access on my blackberry. I haven't been able to use it since February. My local T-Mobile outlet is telling me that the area around my home is a dead zone.

But that's wrong. My town isn't the problem. My unit is the problem. Neither in Stamford nor in Manhattan could I get access.

So I'm paying an access fee every month in order to play brick and wake up to a unique alarm. Bah, humbug. I'm gonna have to go back to that outlet.

I read a fascinating story, while on the Metronorth train, about the origin of Tupperware and of "Tupperware parties." It was a Wall Street Journal review of a book on the subject. Here's a link Under the Lid, A Fresh Sales Idea.

No comments:

Knowledge is warranted belief -- it is the body of belief that we build up because, while living in this world, we've developed good reasons for believing it. What we know, then, is what works -- and it is, necessarily, what has worked for us, each of us individually, as a first approximation. For my other blog, on the struggles for control in the corporate suites, see www.proxypartisans.blogspot.com.