31 July 2009

Block Island

I was on Block Island, Rhode Island, for most of Wednesday of this week and the start of Thursday.

I have through most of my life been utterly defiant of the sun and its skin-ravaging powers. Bring it on! Accordingly, I have gotten sunburnt a lot.

Yet advancing age brings caution. I actually bought sunscreen in advance of this trip. SPF 50. Or is it PDF 50? No, that has to do with computer files. I was right the first time. Anyway, with the help of SPF 50 I braved the sun, did a good bit of walking about in the daylight, and had a little beach time, without untoward incident.

You don't care? Well ... I don't say that you should. I suppose that I could come up with a profound lesson. Something about how the harmful effects of UV radiation are an example of he more general fact of our human vulnerability to the elements, and about how although technology (easy travel to beach sites, the formulation of sun screen itself) changes the terms of the vulnerability, nothing really changes the fact.

But you still likely wouldn't care. So I'll just remind you that this is a blog. Moreover, it is my blog. I don't care that you don't care. Try back tomorrow and maybe, just maybe, there will be something you might care a smidge about.

No comments:

Knowledge is warranted belief -- it is the body of belief that we build up because, while living in this world, we've developed good reasons for believing it. What we know, then, is what works -- and it is, necessarily, what has worked for us, each of us individually, as a first approximation. For my other blog, on the struggles for control in the corporate suites, see www.proxypartisans.blogspot.com.