08 November 2009

Dickens chronology

I've been wondering. How do we fit Charles Dickens into Barzun's over-arching theory about the 19th century in European cultural history? My continued readings in and musings about Barzun's book, DARWIN, MARX, WAGNER, combined with the release of yet another Hollywood version of A CHRISTMAS CAROL, have together brought me to this curiosity.

Dickens' career straddles the great divide between the romanticism of the early part of the century and the materialistic turn of the latter part. Barzun, remember, assigns great importance to the year 1859 in connection with that turn. So where do Dickens' works stand, on either side of that line.

Here are some of the most influential of his works, and their date of publication, with italics for the one of his great works that came out within the fateful year itself.

THE PICKWICK PAPERS (1837)
THE ADVENTURES OF OLIVER TWIST (1839)
A CHRISTMAS CAROL (1843)
DAVID COPPERFIELD (1850)
BLEAK HOUSE (1853)
A TALE OF TWO CITIES (1859)
GREAT EXPECTATIONS (1861)
OUR MUTUAL FRIEND (1865).

Dickens was a world-famous author long before 1859, and his habits of mind were settled before what Barzun saw as the turn toward mechanism. I expect that if I asked him, Barzun would likely include Dickens with the High Romantic movement. I'd rather not bother a 101 year old man with a question on such a point, though.

I've looked into his magnum opus, FROM DAWN TO DECADENCE (2000) for Dickens mentions. I have found only one -- a brief discussion of a couple of the female characters, in connection with the Victorian notion of an idealized wife as "the angel in the house." Nothing there seems to shed any light on Dickens himself.

5 comments:

Leo Wong said...

On p. 106 of Classic, Romantic, and Modern, Barzun appears to call Dickens a Realist. On p. 563 of D2D, JB says that Dickens' art "at no time was restricted by the dogmas of Realism."

Christopher said...

Leo,

Thanks. I'd love to see someone prepare a really comprehensive index for D2D. There seem to be significant gaps in the one we have.

Dickens has no index entry, for example. There is one for the David Copperfield, which led me to the passage I cited in the blog entry, pp. 552-53.

The passage to which you've now directed me is fascinating, and I'll discuss it in a separate entry.

Leo Wong said...

Have you not looked at the Index of Persons?

Christopher said...

Leo,

Ouch! My mistake. There are two indexes, I was simply looking in the "subject" index and was puzzled by the absence of names!

Anyway, with your help I've found there are several fascinating things regarding Dickens in the book, and I'm going to quote from one of those passages in today's entry, Nov., 15.

Leo Wong said...

The page headers of the two type of indexes should have been more specific.

Knowledge is warranted belief -- it is the body of belief that we build up because, while living in this world, we've developed good reasons for believing it. What we know, then, is what works -- and it is, necessarily, what has worked for us, each of us individually, as a first approximation. For my other blog, on the struggles for control in the corporate suites, see www.proxypartisans.blogspot.com.